Fresh summer greens are happily celebrated in this easy-breezy salad. Mixed with nutty-tasting quinoa and tangy feta, the spicy arugula and avocado flavors spring to life in this hearty salad that’s packed with fresh herbs and topped with a zingy lemon vinaigrette.
Arugula, Avocado, and Quinoa Salad with Mint and Feta
1 cup red quinoa
2 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
4 heaping cups arugula
1 green apple
1/2 small red onion
1/4 cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1/4 chives, minced
1/4 cup fresh dill, coarsely chopped
6 oz feta cheese
Additional flaky sea salt for garnishing
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon
1/2 tablespoon honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1. In a medium pot, bring the vegetable stock to a boil, add the quinoa, cover, and reduce the heat to a low simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Quinoa is done when the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a small skillet, melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped almonds and toast for 3-4 minutes until slightly brown and nutty smelling. Sprinkle with the salt and stir once more. Toss the almonds into the quinoa and set aside to cool.
3. Prepare the dressing by whisking all of the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or wide-mouthed jar.
4. Prepare the avocado: remove the pit, peel, and slice. Thinly slice the green apple and the red onion.
5. Toss the quinoa with half of the dressing. In a separate, large bowl, toss the remaining dressing over the arugula, avocado, green apple, red onion, mint, parsley, chives and dill. Combine the quinoa with the greens and sprinkle with feta and flake salt. Serve immediately.